- About UNWTO
- Member States
- Affiliate Members
- Destination Management & Quality Programme
- Education and Training
- Ethics & Social Responsibility
- Information Resources & Archives
- Institutional and Corporate Relations
- Knowledge Network
- Market Trends
- Resilience of Tourism Development
- Governing Bodies
- Statistics and Tourism Satellite Account
- Sustainable Development of Tourism
- Silk Road
- Technical Cooperation
“Sustainable Tourism for development in developing countries”: A document in three interlinking parts
TO DOWNLOAD THE GUIDEBOOK PLEASE CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINKS
e-book form (english):http://www.unwto.org/ebook/sustainable-tourism-for-development/
e-book form (french): http://www.unwto.org/ebook/un-turisme-durable-pour-le-development/
The Guidebook takes a comprehensive approach to tourism, covering a wide range of topics relating to its planning, development, management and impact. By working through the whole document, users are able to identify priorities for intervention across a spectrum of issues.
The Guidebook’s aim is to mainstream tourism by:
- Enhancing understanding and commitment to sustainable tourism.
- Providing guidance to assess the tourism sector’s importance, identifying opportunities for sustainable tourism development, planning actions, and enhancing sustainability of projects.
- Delivering a “Sustainable Tourism for Development Study” which will enable the EU and other development institutions to include sustainable tourism development in their programme cycles.
The guidebook is divided in the three parts described below:
“The Methodology”: How to assess priorities for Sustainable Tourism in Developing Countries?
The Methodology follows a systematic structure which, through a series of questions * under each issue, enables the situation to be assessed, weaknesses and gaps identified and possible actions considered, while also pointing to existing services that are available. It focuses on five key pillars of sustainable tourism in developing countries:
*Assess your needs! (click on the links below and fill in the questionnaires)
Questionnaire Pillar 1- Tourism policy and governance